9.11.2014

 

The race was on!  I had about 10 days before my scheduled vacation to splash her, so I jotted down every single step that still needed to be done and divided it by the number of nights for the epoxy to cure.  It was a pretty daunting list.  Every day had its own chall...

9.8.2014

Making the sail was probably the most challenging part of the entire build as it was a totally new skillset for me.  I bought the Mark II kit from Sailrite.  The Mark II kit is the higher aspect ratio (pointier peak) and in my humble opinion, considerably more attracti...

9.5.2014

As I’m fond of mentioning, there’s always time to be building other parts while you’re waiting on something else to cure.  Another example of that is the spars.  I had to make the mast earlier because it was integral to the installation of the mast step.  While I was w...

9.3.2014

One of the most sublime benefits of finishing the undercarriage of the boat (i.e. skeg & skids) is that now the damn thing will sit flat on its designed waterline.  This means that now it’ll hold still so I can finish up the interior bits.

 

Now I can install the mast st...

9.1.2014

At this point, the boat is still sitting on it’s curved bottom.  Now I know why they call it “rocker”!  Now it’s time to add the skeg and skids.  The skeg helps it track in the water, and the skids protect the bottom.  But before I start adding things that are going to...

8.24.2014

So, this last couple of weeks have been all about major milestones.  These were the steps I’ve been dreading for months.  These are the steps that make or break the boat’s fit and finish – the difference between a professionally built boat and one slapped together by a...

8.10.2014

So, a lot of stuff happened again this week, but the finish line seems to keep retreating just over the horizon.  I over-drilled (1/2″ hole for a 5/16″ bolt) the holes in the rudder as per the directions.  I also over-drilled the holes in the rudder head cheek plates,...

7.28.2014

So, not a lot of noticeable progress yesterday.  I hauled all of the parts and the boat out into the parking lot because I was going to create a lot of sawdust.  This last week, I had cut out the rest of the parts for the boat.  My method is to get as close to the outs...

7.27.2014

So, a bunch of stuff happened this week.  Mostly good…  With the understanding that I’m trying to show the process in a bit more detail, here’s a closeup of how the middle bulkhead was tabbed in.  This is with a smaller radius than the finished fillet.  This allowed me...

7.14.2014

Once the bottom had cured, I flipped the boat back into it’s fully upright and locked position.  The fiberglass made the hull noticeably more stiff, which is interesting because it didn’t span any joints/laps on the bottom.  I also checked square and I was only a tad b...

Please reload

Meet Chris:
Mechanical Engineer,
Software Developer,
USCG Captain,
Sailing Instructor,
Furniture Maker,
Daddy & Hubby
Follow Me: 
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
My Sponsors:
totalboat_logo.jpg
Show More

© 2020 by Midnight-Maker.com